The Atlanta Export Portal was developed in 2015 to provide information and resources for companies looking to grow through exports. The site is a component of the Atlanta Metro Export Plan – learn more about the plan below.
The goal of the Atlanta MEP is to increase economic impact of exports for metro Atlanta by:
1) expanding a sustainable export ecosystem and culture
2) engaging local companies to build their export capacity and/or activities.
Capitalizing on its core assets – including home of the world’s busiest airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, its proximity to the Port of Savannah, home to 16 FORTUNE 500 companies – metro Atlanta has a huge opportunity to help more companies grow through exports.
The Metropolitan Export Plan will change how the metro’s small- and medium-sized companies do business. They will grow through exports by tapping new markets and reaching new customers. Increasing exports and international sales is ultimately about creating jobs.
- RESEARCH: The committee conducted surveys and interviews of local companies in addition to in-depth analyses of metro export data from The Brookings Institution (completed April 2014)
- MARKET ASSESSMENT: The research led to the development of the Atlanta Market Assessment, providing the key findings from the data and responses (completed July 2014)
- EXPORT STRATEGY: The key findings of the market assessment led to the development of the export strategy, which defined the goals, objectives, strategies and tactics (completed November 2014)
- IMPLEMENTATION PLAN: The committee defined an Implementation Plan for the export strategy that begins in 2015 with MAC as the lead organization (completed December 2014)
- Public release of the Atlanta Metropolitan Export Plan, Atlanta MEP
- Launch of the Metro Atlanta Export website, a portal for exporters, potential exporters and economic development partners to provide a “toolkit” of resources for companies looking to grow through exports
- Launch of the Metro Atlanta Export grant program to provide small monetary grants to qualified companies in metro Atlanta to build export capacity and/or activities (available through a competitive application process)
2016 key milestones:
- Round One of the grant program, Atlanta Metro Export Challenge, to 38 qualified metro Atlanta companies to assist in their export capacity and/or activity
- Rounnd Two of the grant program, Pitch Day, to the top three qualified metro Atlanta companies
- Roadshows to engage with regional economic developers and local companies about export resources
In 2017, the key milestones for the Atlanta MEP will include:
- Re-launch of the Atlanta Metro Export Challenge and Pitch Day
- Continued roadshows with regional partners and local companies
- Enhancements to the export portal